Provides executive management support in planning, organizing and directing fiscal related functions to include financial reporting, budget planning, financial forecasting and cash management. Responsible for developing the necessary policies and controls for the protection of the financial resources and assets of Thomas Hospitals and for the overall control and planning of reporting departments. Recommends opportunities to contain costs, increase efficiency and enhance revenues in areas of responsibility throughout the organization. Responsible for reviewing managed care contracts prior to their execution to ensure that their provisions permit maximum reimbursement to the facility as well as ensure that the contracts meet the requirements of applicable reimbursement laws and regulations. Understands/interprets healthcare issues regarding labor relations, economic factors and legislation effecting the management of the Thomas Hospitals.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, AND/OR LICENSURE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
1. Seven (7) years of experience in healthcare finance
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, AND/OR LICENSURE:
1. Master’s degree in a Business Management or related field preferred.
2. CPA Certification
1. Three (3) years in a senior finance management position.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The statements described here are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be constructed as an all-inclusive list of all responsibilities and duties. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Completes work accurately and within appropriate time frame. Takes ownership for managing department, including addressing issues appropriately and timely. This includes but is not limited to collecting facts, addressing issues, following up as needed and documentation as required.
2. Uses equipment safely and effectively. Properly identifies and reports equipment service needs. 3. Documents work using department-specific forms/computer systems accurately and completely. Evidence of timely submission of hospital-based forms to include, but not limited to PARs, IS, HR, and Pharmacy forms. Completes tasks as assigned.
4. Ensures staff is educated on established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient’s care which results in patient harm.
5. Provides executive management support in planning, organizing and directing fiscal related functions to include financial reporting, budget planning, financial forecasting and cash management. Provides for the purchase and inventory control of supplies and equipment.
6. Conducts and reviews analyses of significant variances and trends in the financial performance of the organization to identify potential weaknesses in controls and policies.
7. Develops the annual operating budget and multi-year capital budget for the organization. Possesses comprehensive knowledge of the operational requirements for all levels of Hospital activities associated with financial management to provide appropriate guidance to administrative personnel responsible for the provision of hospital services. Maintains awareness of current developments, and trends in the provision of health care services within an acute care hospital and incorporates these trends into operational policies and procedures as applicable.
8. Directs the filing of all applicable rate applications, uniform reporting, financial disclosure and quarterly rate limit monitoring for the West Virginia Health Care Authority. Applies the rate increase granted by the West Virginia Health Care Authority in a manner that maximizes payor reimbursement.
9. Ensures that all financial statements are appropriately stated by conducting monthly balance sheet reconciliation reviews, monthly income statement analysis, monthly volume variance explanations and other financial analysis and review as required. Establishes and implements all approved accounting and financial control activities. Directs and participates in providing and directing procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services. Exercises policy direction over the carrying out of the accounting functions throughout facility. Appraises facilities financial position. Issues periodic financial and operating reports.
10. Assists in managing the facility’s unbilled accounts receivable with a goal of no more than one day in gross revenue unbilled on an average daily basis.
12. Assists in managing the facility’s unbilled accounts receivable with a goal of no more than one day in gross revenue unbilled on an average daily basis.
13. Understands and demonstrates role in compliance with all applicable National Patient Safety Goals (NPSG’s).
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Standard office environment